Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61

Thread: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

  1. #51
    Inactive Member scharron's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2008
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack??? They Wished!

    Hi Guys,
    this tread is bringing back great memories. early 70's around where I grew up, Jensen was synonomous with 6x9 coax. you said Jensen, you meant 6x9 coax's and then triaxs. I had several sets. 20 oz mags and pretty good sound. foam rot and all! also started going to hi fi shows in the DC area then. I do miss those shows. not sure what year, mid seventys,
    Cerwin Vega was rolling with the earthquake thing, well they had a very large room at a hotel in Arlington set up with just four speakers, one in each corner. S1's or 2 I believe.
    they played Al Stewarts," Year of the Cat" and it was the most amazing sound I had ever heard. best sound at the show. I ended up with a smaller pair of CVs as it was all I could afford. Dynaco had set up two stacks of A25's, six or eight per stack, and that too, sounded really good! Custom Hi-fi, Dixie Hi Fi, Meyer Emco, Warehouse Sound, lots of stores were represented, and it was just before some company named Circuit City single handedly destroyed the Hi-Fi store concept. and I worked for them in the mid 80's. not the best time in my life I assure you. I spent many afternoons as a kid at a place called Allied Radio Shack, just dreaming of all the sound gear I would have someday, and we had a little Mom and Pop close to the house called TV Workshop that sold raw drivers and some Pioneer and KLH stuff also. I wore out many radio shack [book sized!] catalogs back then.
    Late one summer afternoon there was talk of a party at a good friends house[ his parents were out of town!] Literally a half mile away as the crow flies across the woods, all of a sudden at my house you could hear really clear rock and roll, so we jumped in the car and headed over. sitting in the back yard was his dads monster Sansui Receiver, a reel to reel, and a large gray set of... you guessed it, Altec A7 Voice of the Theaters! It sound great! I think about two hundred people showed up and the police also came several times to have the volume lowered. Amazingly, no one got killed, no fights, fair amount of beer got consumed and
    nothing blew up! A great memory from my childhood.
    thanks for stirring up some old memories
    scott in nc

  2. #52
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack??? They Wished!

    Quote Originally Posted by scharron View Post
    Hi Guys,
    this tread is bringing back great memories. thanks for stirring up some old memories
    scott in nc
    Hi Scott!

    I too used to read and re-read Radio Shack catalogs all the time as a kid. Went into the stores all the time as well.
    Once I began reading "Stereo Review"..."High Fidelity" and other such magazines however, I then discovered a whole new world, and so I then left RS behind and never looked back. (I must confess)

    I too have vivid memories of my own youth. I constantly haunted stores like: "Tokyo Shapiro"...."Audio Warehouse"...."Winter radio"...."B&B Appliance"....and on & on. Just visiting record stores back then spurred it on even more.
    I remember back in the '70's lots of the record & tapes stores usually had really nice audio systems set-up & running. In Coventry Village here in Ohio there was a record store called: "Record Rendezvous". In the back was a pair of Altec (A-7's I think)....always playing while shoppers browsed.
    Also maybe other Ohioans recall "Peaches Records & Tapes". Not sure if they were a national chain. They had an array of JBL speakers all along the ceiling being run from a Phase-Linear amp/pre amp. Records spun on a Empire turntable.

    Now-a-days you go into a "home entertainment" store all you see (and HEAR) are massive arrays of flat-screen hi-def TV's.......all running the same movie.

    Interesting is it not?.....that over the years television technology has vastly improved while pure audio sound quality has not at all. Oh sure...we have all that silly (to me) 5,6,7..channel "home theatre" stuff you can play with now......some of it CAN sound quite good.....but as far as gears ability to re-produce sound, notably loudspeakers.....the technology peaked in the late '70's. Sometimes I feel kids today.....kids into audio that is...missed out on something special. I'm glad I was born at the right time to be able to experience the golden age of home audio. Even if I could'nt afford buying it......sampling the "magic" was almost as good!

    Memories indeed!
    Russ

  3. #53
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Quote Originally Posted by Russnohio View Post
    Altecs + Amp + Youth=Eviction notice! (Smiley HERE)*


    *For the life of me......I still cannot figure out how to insert a smilely into text! When I try it....it goes up onto the top of page only(!?)
    (See what I mean?.......another smiley HERE!)

    Russ
    Make sure your cursor is where you want the Smiley...and that you use the smilies rather than the post icons...those go in the header:

    Then just click the one you want.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #54
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack??? They Wished!

    Quote Originally Posted by Russnohio View Post
    Also maybe other Ohioans recall "Peaches Records & Tapes". Not sure if they were a national chain. They had an array of JBL speakers all along the ceiling being run from a Phase-Linear amp/pre amp. Records spun on a Empire turntable.
    We had a couple of Peaches stores in Seattle in the 70s/early 80s. I still have one of their wooden "crates" that I kept my LPs in when in HS and at the UW. Now I just use it to hold the LPs when I move house.

    David

  5. #55
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Apparently even Sony made a competitor for the Mach One.

    But my only reaction is OMG.....

    1970s SONY SPEAKERS Rare

    Seem to be of the "Totem Pole" school of thought.

    I think BTW I figured out why it was bad to be low man on the Totem pole...the Indians had dogs...so if you were on the bottom you wanted to have a son quickly....
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #56
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    oh man OG, those sony's look horrendous.....ugghhh...


    -chris

  7. #57
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Quote Originally Posted by oface1 View Post
    oh man OG, those sony's look horrendous.....ugghhh...


    -chris

    Likely sound horrendous as well. Jeez, do I count 7 drivers per cabinet? Would'nt be suprised if those two little horns are non-operative for looks only. Lots of speaker makers did just that after all.

    I remember a cheap little speaker I saw once (Panasonic I think) where it had a plastic-molded sectoral horn on the front which was actually the bass-port disguised as a "horn-tweeter".

    Russ

  8. #58
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    LOL! I had to save that photo. Looks like Sony went to the Bozak school of speaker design. How many drivers can you stick on a baffle?

  9. #59
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    That Sony just screams "Disco!"

    There was a set of Lafayette's answer to the Mach Ones on craigslist here but they have apparently sold. Look a little better thought out than the Sony...but anything would.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #60
    HB Super Moderator
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    That Sony just screams "Disco!"

    Also screams bell bottom pants with platform shoes "LOL"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.